Tuesday 18 August 2015

Who Do You Love More? Baba or Mumma?

My three year old was looking closely at the photograph of an elephant with its calf in a book of animals.

“Which animal is this?” I asked.

 “Baby Elephant and Baba Elephant”, he replied confidently.

For him, all the pictures of animals with their young ones were of ‘Baba and Baby’. I burst out laughing. I was amused but not surprised, since I knew that when given a choice, my son preferred to have his Baba with him over Mamma.

Although kids spend more time with their Mom, they often say that they love Baba more, possibly because Moms are also the disciplinarians and task masters when it comes to picking up toys, eating the veggies and going to bed on time. Dads on the contrary, spend less time but are often the ones doing the fun activities and letting the kids have their way. Thus, it is not a surprise when Dads win the, “Who is your favorite parent?” game. Undoubtedly, my son’s daddy too could not stop smiling every time this badge of honor was bestowed upon him. He has been the undisputed winner throughout.



However, last night when it was time for bed our son demanded that I put him to bed and not Daddy. I was pleasantly surprised when he said “Mamma mujhe bohot pyar karti hai”. I hugged him tight and readily agreed to his demand. I looked at my husband with a victorious smile. Although he was smiling too, his smile was slightly different from mine.

Today morning, at the breakfast table I asked our son again “Who do you love more? Baba or Mamma?” In his sweet voice he immediately said “Mamma, Mamma”. A huge smile emerged on my face. I know that he is very young and his answer would probably change by evening, but it still felt wonderful, as if I had won a huge reward. Also, I am aware that irrespective of whatever he says 
“Mamma” or “Baba”, he loves us both a lot. We are one unit.

Even between a couple or a set of parents, there is an unsaid competition for praise, for these little rewards that our kids can give us. We definitely feel super happy when our kid chooses us over our partner. What our children say means the world to us. Till the time my son’s answer changes, my heart plans to do the victory dance every time my son chooses to say “Mamma”.

P.S: Hubby left home today with steps slower than usual. His expression akin to that of a jilted lover.

No comments:

Post a Comment