Wednesday 30 July 2014

Why I Don’t Watch Horror

My husband enjoys watching movies and he has a special love for horror flicks and movies with lots of ugly creatures. You ask him and he has seen it all. Be it Blade, Conjuring, Evil Dead, Exorcist, Mama, Ragini MMS, Sleepy Hollow and many more…I do watch a few but I refuse to watch the creepier ones. He would often ask me why but I never give him much of an answer, because there is no short answer to it and I never want to confess that they really scare the hell out of me, I think about them for days and torment myself unnecessarily. So the best way to save myself from the agony is to avoid watching them.
 
Once I happened to watch one of these movies and I went through hell for the next few days. Since I watched the movie in the afternoon I thought it won’t bother me at night since I would have forgotten about it by then. I was wrong! The moment my kids and husband slept, my mind recalled the scenes from the movie. I was scared of even entering the bathroom that night. To make things worse, my toddler casually commented, while looking out of the window that evening, “Pedh me red juju hai!”
 
Below are some of the scenarios built up by my imaginative mind that night.


1)      What if someone or rather something was outside our bedroom window, they could easily see us from in between the curtains, especially with the night lamp on. I looked out and even imagined a red eyed monster staring in.
 

2)      I closed my eyes, then my mind showed me the cupboard doors opening slowly and a black creature crawling out of it onto the bedroom floor, complete with claws, sharp teeth, drool and all.
 

3)      What if I had left the bathroom window open? Something could just fly in like a harmless cloud of smoke and turn into a white faced demon or something wicked could just crawl and pounce the moment I opened the bathroom door. What if it hid behind the shower curtain and waited for me to shut the door before attacking.
 

4)      What if a vampire came into our home, they have so much strength and they could easily break open the bedroom door. Our door locks would not stand a chance. I looked at the door handle almost expecting it to turn. Thankfully, it did not.
 

5)      To make my fears worse I heard the cabinet in the other room creak open. My eyes opened wide and my ears were on the alert. I had stopped breathing. In the silence of the night, every sound can be heard clearly. Thankfully, noting followed.
 
I even remembered the time when I was 9 years old and had watched a part of Predator 2. I cried that night while my grandmother kept stroking my hair to console me.
 
Again, that night I was unable to sleep and I just could not take it anymore. I held my sleeping husband tight and rested my head on his arm. He opened his eyes partially with a big question mark on his face. I just kept my arms wrapped tightly around him till I drifted off to sleep, calmed by his distinct scent and the warmth of his body next to me. I promised to never watch any of these movies again, night or day!

No comments:

Post a Comment